Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Singer Sewing Reference and Kit

My mom found this treasure at the thrift store. It's the book from a series of sewing classes they did at the Singer Sewing Center. The book is dated 1954.



The book has some pretty useful information in it. It's got all the things you'd need to know about how to make your own clothes and clothes for your family. It also has some more advanced information in it. Some of the techniques are so advanced I don't even know what is going on. Seriously, some of it is pretty intense.





As an added treasure my mom also found the "Project Material Package" that went along with the classes!





It's pretty beat up but it is nearly complete! It's amazing. It's still got the practice sheets and the fabric swatches and some of them aren't even used! I'll show you the inside later. 

The Project Material Package was available only to people who signed up for the classes. From the description on the kit: "Singer Sewing Skills is a comprehensive course in effective sewing machine usage embracing the secrets of beautiful sewing."

And "Fabric for learning how best to handle the attachments that are part of every sewing machine, as well as those you may wish to add to your equipment."

It sounds like another part of their plan was to have you try out all the sewing accessories in the store during your class so you would fall in love with them all and end up buying them. I do have many of these accessories in my collection but some of them are super rare and I haven't found them yet (such as the underbraider and the flange foot). But honestly I probably won't have an occasion where I need to sew a bit of braiding on the underside of something. Still, I would love to have them all in my collection!

Some day.

Anyway, another fun Singer Sewing Reference that is worth checking out.




No comments:

Post a Comment